This website is no longer being updated.

NHS Rotherham Clinical Commissioning Group has, from 1 July 2022, been replaced by the new NHS South Yorkshire Integrated Care Board (ICB). The ICB is now responsible for commissioning and funding of health and care services in the local area. Please go to our new website for information about the work of NHS South Yorkshire ICB.

For local health information visit Your Health Rotherham

To view an archive of this website, please click here

Thank you.

branch graphic

Concerns and complaints

If you are not happy with the care or treatment you have received from services commissioned by NHS Rotherham CCG you can contact us to let us know your concerns.

Concerns, complaints and comments are welcomed by NHS Rotherham CCG as we can only ensure services are improved if we are informed of any problems you encounter.  You will not be treated any differently because you have raised a concern or a complaint, but if you feel that this is happening, please inform us.


How do I raise my concerns/complaint?

You can speak to any member of staff initially with your concerns or complaint.  This gives them the opportunity to resolve any concern you may have without it going through a formal process.  Often they will be able to sort out your problem quickly on the spot.


Who can complain and when?

Anyone who is receiving or has received NHS treatment or services can complain.  If you are anxious about making a complaint yourself you can always ask a relative, friend, carer or advocate to make a complaint on your behalf.  We will ask your relative or friend whether they have your permission to do this and we will then ask you to sign a consent form, giving us permission to disclose your personal health information to your relative or friend. 

A complaint should be made within 12 months of the event, or within 12 months of realising that you have something to complain about.

Most complaints are best resolved within the service concerned.  All NHS organisations have designated staff who handle complaints.


How do I make a formal complaint?

The NHS and Social Care Complaints Procedure has two main stages; Local Resolution and Independent Review.

At the Local Resolution Stage it is the responsibility of NHS Rotherham CCG to look into and respond to your complaint.  Every NHS organisation is required to have a named person for dealing with complaints who will support and advise you. 

You will need to outline your concerns in writing to the Chief Officer if the complaint relates to NHS Rotherham CCG staff or services it commissions.


You do not need to write a long and very detailed letter, but you should include all the points you want to complain about. 

You should tell us:

  • Who or what you are complaining about.  Try to make clear the most important points.  If you are complaining about a member of staff, give their name and their position if you know it.
  • Where and when the events you are complaining about happened.
  • What you have already done about your complaint, if anything.
  • What results you want from your complaint.

If your complaint is about Family Health Services you should raise your complaint with either the Practice Manager of the service you are complaining about i.e. GP Practice, Dental Surgery, Optician or Pharmacist.  Alternatively you can complain to NHS England via their Customer Contact Centre by telephoning 0300 3112233 or email

Your complaint to the CCG will be acknowledged within three working days and you will be contacted by the Governance and Complaints Officer who will agree with you the manner in which the complaint is to be handled; agree the timescale when the investigation is to be completed by; agree a date when the response will be made available, and agree how you wish to be communicated with e.g. letter, telephone, e-mail.


What will happen if you don’t resolve my complaint?

Independent Review - The Health Service Ombudsman

We will do everything possible to resolve your complaint.  However, if you remain dissatisfied after the conclusion of the first stage of the NHS complaints procedure you can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to review your complaint.  The Ombudsman is independent of both Government and the NHS.


NHS Constitution

The NHS Constitution brings together in one place what staff, patients and public can expect from the NHS. It sets out the purpose, principles and values of the NHS and explains a number of rights, pledges and responsibilities for staff and patients alike. You can find the NHS Constitution here.



Compliments, Comments and Suggestions

If you are happy with the care and treatment you have received from the services Rotherham CCG commissions, or if you have any suggestions that could improve the services we offer we would like to hear from you.  You can write to the Chief Officer at:

NHS Rotherham Clinical Commissioning Group
Oak House

Moorhead Way
S66 1YY

Tel: 01709 302108


Other contact numbers

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Tel: 0345 015 4033

Healthwatch Rotherham

Thornbank House, 38 Moorgate Road, Rotherham, S60 2AG

They are open Monday- Friday between 9.30am and 4.30pm. You can also phone on  01709 717130, or email at